Friday, January 22, 2010

NORA!!!!!

Yo Gang!!!! Little waves this morning, any one get any? I went for a drive looking for a waist high peak but I couldn't find one so I took the puppy for a nice long beach walk instead. But there were waves, definitely longboard-able if you had the drive to get wet. Steve just said that the past four days could be the best best four day run of surf we get all year. He factored wind, swell direction, swell size, and consistency into his decision and used the word "unbelievable" to sum it all up. While I do agree that the surf was unreal and the best of 2010, I hope mother nature has a few more storms like this past on that will challenge Stevie's claim.

I had a great session at the Rye Airfield last night. Got to skate with some of the young guns and work on my mini shred. Maybe another session tonight, any takers? We got a few used snowboard packages in recently. One is a Burton Canyon with like new burton Mission bindings and the second is a Santa Cruz with Burton Missions. Both are 157cm, both have large bindings, and both are a steal at $250. Come score a $600 dollar package for pennies on the dollar and we'll go shred! We also have a handful of used boots and we'll do our best to get you stoked for the remainder of the shredding season.


The first time I met Nora Vasconcellos I was at Rye Airfield having a fun session skating the wooden bowl. I was skating pretty good, hitting some frontside five os through the corners and some nice back smiths. After a run I noticed this girl with a pink helmet hanging on deck observing the session. I was super stoked to see a girl joining the session. Nothing against the ladies but most of the time when you encounter a girl at the skatepark they kinda just cruise around and chill. When this girl finally put her board on the coping and dropped in my jaw dropped too. THIS GIRL COULD SKATE!!! She put me and every other guy who HAD BEEN skating in our places, at the bottom of the pecking order with her on the top. Over the past year or so I have gotten to know Nora a little better. She is 100% genuine, a total sweet heart, and a total ripper.

Since my first experience with Nora I have seen it happen time and time again. Here is how it goes, a bunch of guys will be skating the mini ramp having a session. Nora will role up and no one will know her. Everyone sees the pink helmet and figures she can't really skate. Everyone encourages her to drop in, she does, and blows their minds. Everyone just watches, feels dumb after her run, and then goes and skates something else. I have come to terms with the fact the Nora skates better then I ever will and now that I can accept that fact she is one of my favorite people to skate with.

Nora Vasconcellos, remember that name, she will be a dominant force in women's skateboarding...

And watch out in the line up because she can surf too!



Waves tomorrow Afternoon????? Keep an eye on it!



1 comment:

Mr. Hanlon's Class said...

Yesterday's waves were sweet, but Wednesday afternoon at Straws with a light snow falling was waist to chest and completely epic for longboarders like myself. Hopefully tomorrow afternoon will shape up!

-Hanlon