Monday, March 8, 2010

O How Sweet It Is!!!


This past weekend was borderline epic! It was so nice out and the waves were so fun. It really can't get much better than that for early March. I had such a great session yesterday morning I am still amping. I was steaming in my winter suit and after checking the water temp it's safe to say the worst of the cold water is over. We hit 37/38 degrees but we are climbing now, we're at 39 degreees! Another 6 degrees and we'll be back in our 4/3 suits! And speaking of 4/3 suits we are stocked with a ton of different 4/3s from Ripcurl and O'neill! The bang for your buck 4/3 suit starts at about $180 and the mack daddy suits that have detachable hoods start at about $300. You have heard me talk about the RipCurl Insulator and the O'neill Mutant before. Those are the best 4/3s on the market PERIOD!





One of good buddies and favorite customers is wintering down in Costa Rica this year. He sends us an update every few weeks to tell us how nice the weather is and how good the surf has been. Chris is no spring chicken but can out run, out cycle, and out paddle most people half his age. I hope then when I get to be Old Man Chris's age I will be surfing as good as he does. One thing that always amuses me about Chris's emails is that include some kind of surf report/forecast for NH, even though he's been gone for months and won't be returning for another month. It just proves he still has a place in his heart for all of us suffering through 38 degree water and the world class waves of New England. The following is a recent email from Chris.

"I have been rating my sessions since I have been down here.

I have 73 sessions and today was the first 5 start rating that I have given since 1/2/10.

I got out to the river mouth at SECRET just before 5pm this evening. The tide would be high around 6pm. the tide was still above normal due to the full moon earlier in the week. The winds were off shore about 10mph. The air temp was around 90 and the water was 85 degrees. I went to a spot called SECRET and the waves were overhead barrels that were being held up by the wind. The waves were too easy to catch even for an old man. There were about 5 people sharing the break and everyone knew that this was about as good as it gets. Set after set that was easily overhead that broke from a peak, and walled up in front. Almost no close outs. A big drop that accelerated you into the next section that walled up and peeled off.

Duck dive a few waves, paddle out, and wait a couple of minutes for the next beauty. I have had better individual rides this year, but not once like this every wave.

The swell is supposed to increase tomorrow, but it can not get much better that the SECRET this evening. Give it 5 star out of 5."

Thanks for the update Chris, I can't wait to see all your new moves when you get home!





I got the report from Buck today that the Molly Rail Jam at Smuggler's Notch was absolutely amazing! Tons of spectators, over 40 competitors, and gorgeous weather made for a special day. The event was able to raise a bunch of money that will all go to a great cause. I am sure MollyRowlee.com with have the full report and photos soon so take a moment and check it. The next Molly event is going to be another must see! The Bruins Alumni v.s. The Surfers! The event is March 21st at The Rinks in Exeter. Tickets are only $10 dollars and are available here at Pioneers! Don't miss this one it's going to be the event of the DECADE!!!

Just got some more Volcom spring gear in. It looks so good! Pictures of the hotness to come tomorrow. Steve also went into the attic yesterday and found some snowboard boots to slash some prices on.

Burton Tribute sizes 6, 7, 8.... $55
Burton Moto sizes 8, 9.5, 10, 11.5.... $70
Burton Emeral size 8 (ladies)... $90
Burton Boxer size 9.5... $100
Burton Freestyle 12.... $85

These boots won't last at these prices so come score a pair for the rest of the season.

How about some music for your Monday. My buddy Skip of Todo Bien (by they way they have a show this Friday night at the Blue Mermaid in Portsmouth) turned me on to this group this spring. The go by the name The Avett Brothers. They are really good and I think they're worth checking out.


Enjoy the Day and if you missed Chance's blog on the Olympics from Saturday Check It Out!

1 comment:

Adam said...

I'm from the mountains of Western North Carolina where these guys hail. Moved up here 2 years ago. Seen these guys a couple times and have most of their albums. They are amazing musicians and phenomenal song writers. Definitely worth checking out!