Saturday, March 6, 2010

My Olympic Experience...

The Olympic Rings at Whistler

Good morning crew. What a beautiful day! Fun waves, sunshine, warm temps... Doesn't get much better does it? So surf this morning was really fun, head high sets with a good offshore breeze. The surf right now is awesome, everywhere is firing. Buoys are reading about six feet and the wind is steady offshore. It's a beautiful day at the beach and again my recommendation is to GET ON IT!!!!

Two of our close friends, Richie and Chance, made the move and got themselves to the Olympics in Vancouver a few weeks ago. Before Chance left I gave him a homework assignment. I requested a firsthand account of Chances trip and Olympic experience. He delivered and even sent us some picture to share! So with out further adieu here is Chance's blog;

I just recently went to the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, BC. It took a very long time to get there. Once we got to Vancouver i was amazed! It is such a beautiful city and it seems like a great place to live. There was a lot of people there for the olympics. Every where was crowded with tourists. After we walked around the city for a little it we went to a Canada vs. Norway hockey game. It was crazy how many people were wearing red and white in that stadium. Me and my dad were the only two not wearing Canada jerseys. After the game we went to see some curling. It was probably the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen! The people were so into it though!!!! They would scream “CURL IT! CURL IT!! CURL IT!!”. It was hilarious! The next day we walked around the city a bit and went to see the torch. It was horrible. They had a 20 foot wide fence around it. I cant believe that such a big symbol of the Olympics would be blocked off from the public! I mean, what is someone going to do to it? It’s like 45 feet in the air!!! Then night we went to the best thing I’ve ever seen.......MENS SNOWBOARD HALF PIPE!!!!!! I was so excited to go! But it was really involved getting there. We had to take a taxi 20 minutes to North Vancouver. Then we had to buy bus tickets to Cypress Mountain. They wouldn’t let you on the bus if you didn’t have a ticket with you for an event at the mountain. After the bus dropped us off they made us walk a mile and a half to the half-pipe. Then once we got to the pipe we had to climb like seven hundred steps to get to the top! But it was all worth it. Seeing Shaun get gold and seeing Scotty get bronze was awesome! As soon as Shaun started his victory run we stormed out of there and it was a madhouse! There was like a thousand people behind us about to stampede me! Me and my dad just ran for it!! But, we finally got on the bus and got back to the hotel.


The next morning we took a taxi up to Whistler. The drive there was the most beautiful I have ever seen! Once we got there we got right on the hill and had a great day. The day after that we wen HELI SKIING! It was my favorite thing I have done in my whole entire life. The view, the skiing, and just the thrill of being on an actual glacier that has been around for thousands of years was amazing! That lasted the whole day and that tired us out so we ate and went to bed. The next day we skied Whisler/Blackcomb again and killed it. That was my last day in BC and I’ll remember that trip forever. GREATEST TRIP EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Chance

Heli Shredding!!!
Men's Halfpipe Finals
Chance enjoying a little curling!!!

Check out this story from Surfers Village on Rouge Waves... Long thought to be a sailor's tale these waves are gaining scientific credit. Lots of interesting reading HERE. You can also use this info to your advantage. The next time you're telling a story about this epic wave you caught and you start exaggerating about wave size and someone calls you out, pull the rouge wave card out your pocket, BRO! I know I've caught at least two or three of them over the years.

So again the waves are awesome, go surfing, go skating, or just go outside and get RAD!!
Enjoy the day and let's hope for some leftover logging sets tomorrow!

Thanks Chance!

No comments: