Saturday, January 29, 2011

Am Tec Today!!!


Eamon Stylin'

Pioneers riders Eamon Samojla, Zac Rose, and Max Jenson will be competing today at the Combi Bowl out on Orange, Cal for the Am Tec title. This event will showcase the best of the best in amateur bowl riding and these kids are going to be blowing up. With back to back 5's, fast lines, and style the local boys are going to represent, just wait till they make it to Pro-Tec!


Nora Vasconcellos is lurking around the shop today and I figured I'd put her on the hot seat and fire away at so we can catch up on the life and times of one Nora V. She'll be shredding vert this afternoon so if you're at the park make sure to say hi.

So your 17 now and you just got your license, how does it feel to have that freedom?
I love it, my parents let me take the family car so I have been able to skate so much more.

Why does it take you 3 hours to get here when it should only take 1?
Living a half an hour south of Boston the commuting traffic is disgusting. The first two hours were spent getting through the tunnel...yay!

Do you text and drive?
Never!

How did 2010 go for you overall? General life, results, sponsers?
2010 was a great year, I have been able to make some great connections, including joining the Pioneers team. I was also able to compete in Women's vert at Dew Tour and X-Games, placing 5th and 6th. I have also been able to work with Mimi Knoop and Cara- beth Burnside with their board company Hoopla.

Tell me more about Hoopla and your relation ship with its founders?
I was fortunate enough to meet Mimi and CB at the Dew Tour this summer and then they approached me about riding flow for their board company Hoopla. Hoopla which is a division of Skate One (Powell Peralta, Bones, etc.) is a great company focused on the female rider and inspiring young girls with a more feminine board. I was so honored when they asked me to ride for them, they were the women I had always looked up too so it meant a lot. The boards are really great also, great pop that lasts and Ligament Technology.

Heard you got mauled by a scoot kid at Rye yesterday, tell me about it.
Haha I was coming out of Rye (Airfield) and all of the sudden I was on the ground on top of this little kids scooter. I have a good scooter bruise this morning but I felt bad because the kid was embarrassed.

Your a damn good artist, how does that relate to your skating? Any interest in designing board graphics?
Thank you! I think art ties in with my skateboarding because both are just ways I express my creativity. I would love to eventually be a creative director or designer for a skate company, it's what I am most passionate about.

From my perspective you have a deeper than normal relationship with Tabitha Bob... please explain.
Tabitha Bob is much more than you average domesticated kitty. She is a very important member of the family, basically my child. I love her.

Ke$ha or Gaga?
Gaga, I don't even think Ke$ha is a real person, just some auto-tuned hologram.

Scooters or roller blades?
Fruitboots, I respect them.

New York or LA?
Im not a city girl but New York is just a train trip away. I loved the west coast too but there is just too much smog.

Plans for college?
I applied to some local schools in Boston and also San Diego State but next year I am taking a gap year to skate. I want to really focus and push myself. School will happen at some point and I would really like to study design and marketing.

What kind of plans do you have for 2011?
Skate, surf, work, and build a portfolio, just push myself and my skating to the next level. With the new vert ramp at Rye Airfield I am really excited to see where it will take me and the other kids.

Favorite people to skate with?
Tate, Eamon, Derek, Max, Zac, Nolan, Cam, Ivana...we have such a great group up here from Rye and Pioneers, there is always a good sesh.

In surf news John John Florence is the MAN!!! Yesterday he won the Volcom Pipe Pro and early this month he won the Da Hui Backdoor Shoot Out. The dude is on FIRE. People he grew up looking up too are now looking up at him. I'll be really interested to see where the 2011 year takes this boy. He'll be on the road doing some QS and I'm sure he'll find his way into at least on ASP Prime before the year is through. Check the highlight below form the final day of the contest!




SURF & SNOW mid week I think/hope. We're in the shop till 6, swing by if you need anything!!

No comments: