Monday, April 2, 2012

Bureh Beach Surf Club - Seirra Leone, Africa

In my younger years I spent a bunch of time with the Beriau brothers. We worked at the same shop and we spent all our free time snowboarding and skateboarding.  Over the years I sort of lost track of Andre, the younger of the brothers, but just recently we got back in touch with each other. Andre ended up joining the Peace Corp and has been stationed in Seirra Leone, Africa were he teaches school in the country side.

Not only does Andre rip on a skateboard and snowboard but he can handle himself in the surf too.  Andre has passionately been working with the Bureh Beach Surf Club and doing everything he can to get the kids as stoked as he his.  Andre has held a couple of surf classics where he hand made trophies for all the competitors.

He just recently sent me this email asking for a little help and I figured I would share it with you;

"So, I'm finishing up my time in Seirra Leone this July and would be stoked to try and get a shipment out of old surf gear to the boys before I go. It usually takes about one month to get mail here. My plan for the donation box is to have people put anything they can spare in there...old fins (especially), leashes, boardshorts, rashguards, wax combs, stickers, etc. It would also be rad to have a little donation cup to pay for the shipping. I'm thinking it would be rad to run the donation box from now until May 1st and ship it out within that week.

If people want to know more about where their old gear is headed tell them to check out Bureh Beach Surf Club on Facebook or my blog at layoti.tumblr.com. Also, it would be killer if you dudes at Pioneers or any of your customers could "like" Bureh Beach Surf Club's page on facebook to generate the stoke and better direct people!"

So if you got some old gear you'd be willing to part with and a few bucks to help it get there the boys on the beach in Seirra Leone would be quite grateful.  I've got a bunch of trunks I'll be sending myself so pitch in and do what you can!  We'll be collecting gear and $$ at the shop all month.

SHARE THE STOKE OF SURFING!!!!


No comments: