Monday, July 25, 2011

Julian Wilson gets robbed by the judges at the Billabong Pro at J Bay

Ok gang, climbing up my soap box for a good ol' fashion rant.

The Association of Professional Surfing has this thing called the world tour that is supposed to "PUSH" the progression of the sport. After watching Julian Wilson's heat versus Ace Buchan I think that someone needs to remind the judges of that. It's my opinion that Julian Wilson got absolutely robbed in his quarter finals heat against Ace Buchan at the Billabong Pro.



Not to say Ace isn't a great surfer but come on, the dude got an 8.7 for 5 of the same turns on his first wave and then an 8.07 on his second wave for a "shakey" takeoff followed by a floater and 2 foam climb sorta turns (that wave should have been a 5 at best). Meanwhile Julian is going for it with critical fins free surfing. He did a big air reverse and followed it up with two good turns for a 7.3 and then on his second wave did a huge turn and a huge tail waft for a 7.6 . Julian was surfing with commitment and he was going for broke! Ace was surfing safe and shouldn't have been rewarded with 8 point plus scores.

Oh, don't think I'm alone in this stance either, here are a few of my favorite quotes from my like minded internet friends.

"don't understand that one... 8's for standard back hand hacks and 7's for finners and air reverses?"

"Looks like Jules got smoked........by the judges that is..."

"Un flote y un giro medio chungo, todo agachado un 8.07 y dos reverses un 7....mmm....no sé yo..." (not exactly sure what he's saying but I think he's saying floaters and turns get 8s and air reverses get 7s....I don't get it)

"8's for repeating the same turn?"

"take off like a BodyBoard! floaters over mush withewater! So I can win a WCT! Air reverse? No, I can't do that. but I don't need it! KKKKKKKKKK"

"I think it has to more with the fact that if Julian Won the heat HE would have surfed against Jordy in Semi. Ace was always going to be beat by Jordy - but Julian NOT SO MUCH. That is how I saw the scoring for this Quarter Final Heat!"

Julian was one of the inform surfers of the event and it should have been a Julian vs Jordy semi final. I think we could have easily seen a Julian vs Mick Final. That's my opinion, I'm sticking too it and in closing I think we need new, younger judges or even better would be a system where the surfers judged each other.

Please feel free to pipe in with your own two cents. I'm posting the vid on Facebook, go ahead and sound off.

Final Highlight with Jordy and Mick!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

push the limits of surfing do 3 snaps thats all it takes these days apparently?Julian was the form surfer of the event.Ace surfed good but not that good.