Wednesday, December 30, 2009

What Are You On???



Looking at the cover of the new Surfing Magazine three things stick out to me. The first is the title "Surfing Magazine" the second is the guy getting shacked and looking kinda bored with the whole experience, and third are the words "What are you on?". That is a good question, what are you on? How long have you been on it? Is it working for you or are you read to get on something else? I spend most of my time on a 6'0 Lost Round Nose Fish and a 6'2 Lost Stealth and Steve spends most of his time on a 6'1 Lost Speed Demon. I am very happy with my board choices, I actually love my board choices. Matt Biolos, owner and head shaper of Lost Surfboards just won shaper of the year and I think that Lost really does make some of the best boards out there. As Matt puts it "I'm not shaper to the stars. It was never meant to be that way" He goes on to say he shapes boards for the average surfer. Surfers like us. Surfers who surf average waves on a regular basis. His shapes are short, thick, and wide. But more importantly they work, really well.



I read another quote and I am not sure who it is from but it is in reference to a board that is commonly referred to as a fish. "This is not a fish. The dimensions may be similar, but not the design- and not the performance. This board is for ripping when the report says 'stay home'. It is for punting when the judges say, 'do cutbacks'. It is the opposite of retro." That says a lot to me and it sounds like it is describing some of the new boards that Lost is creating for the 2010 year. The Blunt, the Scorcher, and the Motivator. All of which could be described as a fish but definitely are not. After checking out the photos and write up of the Motivator I think that might be my new board for 2010. A 5'10 x 20 x 2 3/8. We are going to start working on our 2010 Lost order so if anyone out there in blog land has their eye on a new board now would be the right time to swing by the shop and put your board on the list.

The Blunt, this one is 5'10 x 20 x 2 1/2
The Motivator, this on is 5'9 x 19 7/8 x 2 5/16.

Enjoy the day, stay warm, think surf, surf a lost.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

best issue of surfing yet.

Mr. Hanlon's Class said...

I ride longboards and love it. I wish the major mags would devote even one page per issue to rides over 9'.

-Hanlon